Wednesday, October 12, 2011

LINEN SNOBS PLEASE ENTER HERE

I am sorry it has been so long, but last week was a crazy mess and then it was away for an anniversary weekend. More on that adventure tomorrow.  Yesterday when we arrived home from our journey a wee bit of a package was waiting for me and I of course knew just what it was...my custom linens I ordered in August had arrived. I will admit that besides having stationary issues (I LOVE A LETTER) I also have linen issues. I am sorry but life is simply too short to throw Restoration Hardware cotton on my bed, where I sleep...correction where I dream. I need Irish linen or pure Egyptian cotton spun in France. I KNOW, I'm crazy, but there are others out there.
   As I dressed my bed in her new clothes, kind of hoping The Romanian wouldn't notice, I was thinking about all the ways there are to make a proper bed. I tried two different ones before deciding on what would become the final look. So this blog is dedicated to your bed, maybe one of the most important pieces in your house that might get over looked from time to time. Enjoy.
   P.S. while writing this I was speaking to a friend on the phone and she asked what are "custom" linens anyway. Well simply they're are certain high-end linen companies that allow you to pick your cottons, patterns, percale or not to percale...that is the questions. I am in the mind set that ALL linens should be in white or ivory only (but what do I know). Unless you are staying at the Wynn in Vegas stay away from black, gold, red, etc. Elegance is best when it is simple.






House&Post
Our room is very simple and clean with whites and silver blues as the colors. Our headboard is being custom made in North Carolina, but pictures will be posted should it ever arrive. The lavender mohair throw adds a bit of contrast and I have throws all over the house. They are an easy way to add a pop of color and texture. 


The sheets are Matouk from several years ago and the custom duvet and shams are Legacy   Home.  I chose the cotton diamond pique with a gross grain ribbon in the silver blue fretwork to match my walls. Wall- Tudor Ice- CA Paint Co.







Cheat Sheet (No pun intended)




Q: What is Egyptian cotton?
A: Cotton grown exclusively in Egypt and the longest fiber staple in the world. This means less linting, more durability, more luster and a softer feel. Considered the best cotton in the world. Cultivated mainly in the Nile River Valley in Egypt, this grade of cotton boasts the longest and strongest fibers.

Q:What does Percale mean?
A: Closely woven, plain weave, spun fabric made from both carded and combed yarns. Percale sheeting is the finest sheeting available. The high thread count gives the fabric a soft, silk-like feel.

Q: What is Combed Cotton?
A: Extra-soft cotton. When cotton or another fabric is "combed," the shortest, additional fibers of a batch are removed. The result produces high-quality yarns with excellent strength and softness.

Q: What is Silk?
A: The softest and most luxurious of all bed linens, silk is surprisingly also the strongest. It's also lightweight and keeps you cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Q: What is Thread Count?
A: Thread count helps determine the quality of the sheet and is simply the number of threads in one square inch of fabric. Quality sheeting begins at 180 threads per square inch. The higher the thread count, the softer the "hand" or feel of the sheet and the more pill resistant it will be. 

TYLER's NOTE: This is not entirely true. Yes in "commonly" sold sheets the higher the threat count the softer the sheets, BUT this is often because of where the cotton in from. Martha Stewart started this stupid trend years ago saying her sheets were better because they had a high thread count. Well her cotton was also from the US, a poor example of luxury cotton, therefore they needed more of it to make it feel better. With better quality cotton from Egyptian cotton plants (really two types of plants) your product is already coming out of the gate well ahead of the other blended or lesser quality cottons. 

Q. What is Linen?
A:  /ˈlɪnɨn/) is a textile made from the fibers of the flax plant, Linum usitatissimum. Linen is labor-intensive to manufacture, but when it is made into garments, it is valued for its exceptional coolness and freshness in hot weather. 

   TYLER'S NOTE: I adore linen sheets, a true connoisseur of bedding will only allow linen sheets on their bed. However, these are usually the same people who have someone else doing all their ironing. Since I am both business woman, cook and cleaner ( and this maid  hates to iron) I do not own linen sheets. One day however I just might see what everyone is raving about. Plus The Romanian will be THRILLED to see another domestic activity I can do...ironing. 


Q: What is Matelasse'
A: The French word, matelassé means “quilted,” “padded,” or “cushioned,” and in usage with fabric, refers to hand quilted textiles. It is meant to mimic the style of hand-stitched Marseilles type quilts made in Provence, France. Matelassé fabric can be either hand-stitched to create the decorative features of the fabric, or woven on a jacquard loom for the appearance of quilting. Matelassé fabric is a heavy, thick textile that appears to be padded, but actually has no padding within the fabric.


Legacy Home

Legacy Home
Sferra Bedding
I adore this bed for a beach house. Its so fresh ad clean.

Sferra
I would do this for a NY apartment or a bachelor. I really like that it's soft without being to feminine.

Yves Delorme  
Yves Delorme
I own this set and adore it!!! When it comes to sheets I haven't found another to compete with Yves. 
Ann Gish Bedding








No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback!